Monday, June 29, 2009

Medialit Day One

Hi,
I have been teaching science to 7th and 8th grades for 13 years. I also teach drama at night to our middle school students allowing me a different perspective on students lives outside of the classroom. Currently, I hold the title of Curriculum Coordinator for Science at our school, this is the new name for Department Head. Besides work, I do blacksmithing and metal sculpture which gives me an outlet for using my hands as I work. I am happily married with two wonderful girls age 9 and 12.

Digital media in the classroom is has not been my highest priority. I do see however how my students are all immersed in The digital world, like most of us would be if we were dropped in a foreign country and had to make our way home. The current generation is finding their way though the digital revolution as a way of life, a culture that they are immersed in. Marc Prensky would argue that those of use over thirty two and a half ( or maybe even younger say twenty-two) are immigrants to technology. Watching it develop from the outside looking in and reaching into the pond of technology and pulling our relevant pieces when we need it. Like right now, this course making us as a class develop a blog, we need to use it so we go out and get it. A modern student of the world (a kid) already has it as part of their world with a basic under standing of its use and need, it is a given in their life rather than something that has to be hunted for or fished for it is around them and part of them.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like the Prensky really resonated with you. DO you see this in your own kids as well?

    ReplyDelete